Friday 15 July 2011

My Bedroom Makeover






The weather here has taken a turn for the worse again here so I thought I would take some time and photograph my bedroom. 










The walls were a blue/white before, the're now white and this has made the room feel fresher and brighter.














The bed skirt the little lace cushion and the crochet throw were all dyed using Dylon Antique Grey, I got the idea from Atlanta Bartlett's book, Pale and Interesting, its such a great way of updating linens, although I found large objects like sheets went patchy but the smaller items dyed really well.









This stripped pine Victorian door which I found recently inspired the look of my bedroom, it fits perfectly.  Initially I intended to paint it white but when it was hung I liked the contrast to the white walls and it reminded me of the rustic prairie interiors I love at the moment:- The Prairie by Rachel Ashwell and Fifi O'Neill's book Romantic Prairie Style.  So I carried on with that theme using things I already had around the house.

I made the pajama bag from material found in my linen stash and again dyed using Dylon Antique Grey but for some reason this turn a lighter shade.





Love this little handmade straw bag I got from a car boot sale for 50p I use it to store magazines.




I found these books when I was out shopping and ran for cover out of the rain into a book shop, the shop smelt of old books and the owner was playing the Beach Boys on the sound system, I spent a lovely half hour in there choosing these, staying dry and enjoying the music :).











































This is a stopper for a french perfume bottle.










































This tiny stool is the perfect size for this spot, anything else would obstruct the cupboard door and it was found in my shed, I think its an old bar stool, I just took off the eighties pad and cover to reveal a rustic top, I then painted the legs white.












This lovely rose is from my garden and is called 'Iceberg', it has a pleasant delicate scent that's just right for the bedroom.










































I wish I had took a before of this old pine wardrobe because it was literally in bits.  This for me was a good thing as living in a small cottage where the stairs are very narrow and turn a sharp corner at the top meant that anything large dosn't fit upstairs, in the past I have had to make do with  built-in units or flat pack furniture, which is not really for me.  So when I saw this in my local junk shop for £50 I knew it was perfect for the bedroom, even though I never actually saw what it looked like till it was slotted together.





and of course always looking for extra storage space the top of the wardrobe is a great place to put the winter bed linen.







The flowered storage box was made using paper from Cabbages and Roses, they have a sale on at the moment and I recently ordered some napkins (£4 to make cushions) and they came wrapped in this, so I glued it onto an old box.











A corner of my room that is used as a desk, dressing table and sewing table.










Linking with:- 

51 comments:

  1. What a beatiful and completey relaxing bedroom.
    I love it!
    ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gorgeous bedroom, the colours are so peaceful and relaxing.
    I have used the Dylon Antique grey before and it is almost a greeny grey but still very pretty.
    Love the ticking stripe chair...
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Deborah:
    What a wonderfully dreamy bedroom, which absolutely invites one to relax there and take life at a more leisurely pace. We love your vintage armchair upholstered in French ticking and feel that you have obviously chosen everything with such care and attention to detail. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love everything about your bedroom.. beautiful!!
    cheryl x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely calming, cooling room for summer - just right for today over my side, where the sun is shining and it's lovely and warm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heaven. You "just found" that door???

    Only you Deb.

    I love every last inch of it. You are such a creative woman with the very best of taste.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful Deb

    I had to pin your pretty writing desk!

    Enjoy your peaceful bedroom.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bedroom looks absolutely gorgeous. Book worthy. I love the stripped pine door. I remember when I lived back home, I would get old doors dipped to remove all the paint. What I would do to be able to have those doors here in NJ now! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definately one of my favorite rooms! I love the calm colors, the chair, the door, the wardrobe...all of it really. :) You have created my perfect room - I would love a good night's rest in there.
    Enjoy your weekend ~
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bedroom looks beautiful. I love the door and I think you made a great decision to leave it pine. It adds so much texture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely and exquisitely appointed room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh do i love this room. it is so serene yet not really too girly. more rustic serene i'd say. love the pine door and all the little touches you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a perfect place to spend a hot summer evening. Nothing more cooling than blue and white. Looks like an Island resort. Thanks for sharing, stay cool. Richard at My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love looking at this simple, pretty, and serene room! I enjoy your styling so much. The dyed fabrics are wonderful! ANd your new wardrobe is just beautiful. I could look a million years and never find a door like that one here. I love soulful old pieces like this one is. Lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely bedroom. It is peaceful and calm, spare in its beauty. Love the pine door and all your wonderful little touches.

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bedroom is so charming and fresh and beautiful and it has a chandelier. I love it! I like the covered box. It's like the one I have and got at Rachel Ashwell's boutique. I love the look. Never thought of doing it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a tranquil and restful space. Just beautiful.

    I've just realised that I need two little kitchen stools just like your one for next to the bed in my guest room - there is precious little space and that size is perfect. Must look out for some because it's the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely gorgeous!! I love this post- everything is so beautiful!! I would love for you to come share this at my decorating party going on at my blog all weekend long. It's so lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where do you hide the junk? My bedroom is absolutely packed with junk - mostly not mine, but in the way nonetheless.

    Love your cool, restful room! The clock is lovely, and My Cousin Rachel was a favorite when I was a teen. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your bedroom is gorgeous. I just painted our living room and studio/hobby room white and love it too. The stripped pine door is stunning and really is like a piece of art, imo, in your prairie room. I have an old sideboard that we are using as a tv stand in the family room that I want to strip and leave very rustic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So serene and beautiful! Love the colors and the different shades that came about from dyeing things. Just lovely! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there-I just love with your bedroom! Just stopping back by to say thanks for linking up and to let you know I am sharing this on FB- have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely room Deb, that door is 'very prairie' and the books add an unexpected jolt of colour. I have a soft spot for Iceberg roses...have some standards at home(at least I hope they're still standing)...but my favourite aspect of your bedroom is the little corner with the desk...it looks so nice and organised. Your decorating style is clever and gorgeous...Atlanta would be proud!! Robx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I find that your colour palette is very serene and perfect for a bedroom retreat.
    Our weather has turned as well...we are experiencing torrential rains.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely bedroom Deborah. I like the mix of old pine with the white. I love the roses in the jar with the vintage looking clock beside them. I love the old enamel potty on top of the wardrobe, and how canny of you to cover the box with your recyled Cabbages and Roses paper! Just gorgeous, you have an eye for detail. Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  26. I Loooooooove it! looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a soothing and relaxing space!
    And the DOOR!! Oh my, how beautiful it is. A treasure to complement your decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have a lovely blog with beautiful photos !
    I will come back soon .
    Love from the Netherlands ♥RINI♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. lovely...thank you for sharing. and i think i can almost smell those beautiful iceberg roses... xok.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I adore your style. Again you have nailed this one. Your bedroom just oozes rustic elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful place to call your own! I love how you've decorated :) Oh, and the perfume bottle stopper is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a pretty bedroom, love the chair and desk!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this bedroom. Everything is so charming. Great attention to details! I would love it if you would share this at my linky party starting Wed.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Deborah! What a lovely room! It's so calm and serene. I adore the natural pine door and especially the way you've created such vintage vignettes here and there. Great job! Sweet dreams for sure! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a gorgeous bedroom! Love everything about it! These sft blue and dreamy white...so elegant, so English!! Thanks for sharing:)
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your room looks so beautiful and restful.
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Deborah your bedroom is absolutely beautiful! I LOVE the pine door and I think it looks amazing against all the white. All your details are so pretty and I love the lace pillow that you dyed, just gorgeous!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. looks amazing! especially love your desk and chair!

    ReplyDelete
  39. So peaceful, calm and relaxing. You've done a beautiful job with this room! Glad I found your blog.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  40. Deborah, I just heart every single post I read on your blog <3. you have a beautiful sense of style and your home is beautiful and well appointed without being all fussy. It's a look I strive to achieve but am learning as I go. Thanks for sharing and for taking the time to point out all the elements of the room - even the little pieces like the perfume bottle stopper. Each piece is wonderful alone, but together they make this marvelous composition. And your pine door. Oh my. Just. Wonderful. xo Diane

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow! I absolutely love it! So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is just simply gorgeous. Looks like it is straight out of Country Living magazine. This is what I wish I did have now instead of the traditional home. Love this look of days gone by! Thanks for joining WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my, what a gorgeous, simple, elegant bedroom! I love every bit of it. Just found you via Michele's Primp blog.
    Take care,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  44. your bedroom is truly lovely...saw you featured on primp and had to come say hello...having fun nosing around your delightful blog!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love your style! You have created a lovely bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  46. it is so peaceful and beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love this room, so pretty!!!!
    Thanks for linking!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh Deborah what fabulous styling you have!!!!! I absolutely adore the shades and textures you have used. The whole room is absolutely divine! I am a new follower that is so happy to have stumbled across your gorgeous blog! Warmest wishes from a 500 year old Lincolnshire farmhouse! Glenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your bedroom is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...